Thursday, August 16, 2007

So You Think You Can Dance - Final Four

Top 4 Performance - Week 9

I won't have time for my full review or post into well after this whole competition is over tonight so you can head over to Daemon's blog since we mostly usually agree. Mostly (Danny moved UP the ranks? SABRA NUMBER 1!!!) but I'll have everything up as soon as I can. (ACK, why is everything happening THIS WEEK?)
UPDATE: I'm back and finally had time to update this post with my comments!

Top 4 - Sabra, Lacey, Danny, Neil - Broadway - choreographed by Tyce DiOrio - "Mein Herr " - Liza Minelli (Cabaret Soundtrack)
Here is the video clip of the Top 4 Broadway routine:

Group Dance Finals
Okay, I know I'm going to get flack again for this but terrific dancing generally by all four finalists in a routine that I thought was only so so by Tyce. I expected more movement between the four, more interaction, in addition to having them all dance the same as one. BUT... I noticed AGAIN, that Danny didn't seem to interact with the other three as well as the other three did together (but don't write the hate yet... check my comments below first cause Danny does good later in the night), but I'm not sure if that was designed in the choreography or not, because Danny wasn't really given that much of a chance to interact either. Still, genearlly fun to watch and there were still some cool moments between the final four.


Lacey Solo – “Technologic" - Daft Punk

Lacey Solo Finals
I thought her solo in the Top 6 Results was better but I'm not sure if it was because of her horrendous wardrobe that distracted me.

Sabra Johnson and Neil Haskell - Hip Hop - choreographed by Shane Sparks - "Whine Up" - Kat De Luna
Here is the video clip of Sabra and Neil's Hip Hop routine:

Neil and Sabra Finals
I love this pairing but Neil wasn't quite hitting it all, but unlike Nigel, I thought Sabra was terrific. Still, I thought a lot of the main problems were that the entire choreography wasn't actually tough enough for them at this point because I thought it was still really fun to watch Neil and Sabra together, as imperfect as it was.

Lacey Schwimmer and Danny Tidwell - Viennese Waltz - choreographed by Jean-Marc Genereux - "Keep Holding On" – Avril Lavigne
Here is the video clip of Lacey and Danny's Viennese Waltz routine:

Danny and Lacey Finals
Okay. FINALLY. Danny worked WELL with a partner! Granted, it is Lacey who basically brought Kameron along with her for 5 weeks and partners well with anybody, but still, that was absolutely beautiful and Danny was always there to follow through with Lacey. Finally I didn't feel like I had to scream at Danny to not just "THINK ABOUT YOURSELF" and I could just watch and enjoy! Well done!

Neil Solo – “Gravity" - Shawn McDonald

Neil Solo Finals
I could watch this guy forever...

Sabra Johnson and Lacey Schwimmer - Jazz - choreographed by Wade Robson - "Koyal (Songbird)" - Nitin Sawhney
Here is the video clip of Sabra and Lacey's Jazz routine:

Lacey and Sabra Finals
Here are two of the best partners in the competition together. Though usually Lacey stands out in her partnerships because she's so good, while I find Sabra gets into her characters/dances so much and is such a giving partner that most people didn't even really see Sabra as the strong dancer that she is until more recently because she was just EXPECTED to be such a good dancer. I thought this was a really cool dance by Wade but it reversed the roles, where Sabra really shined and Lacey was still terrific but stepped slightly into the shadows as the supporting dancer.


Danny Solo – “We Are The Champions" - Gavin DeGraw

Danny Solo Finals
See Danny? Look how much better it looks when there's a smile on your face? I will still defend Neil-haters/Danny-lovers that both have their own bag of tricks whereas Neil has made them flow better into a more fluid dance sequence (and thus deserves to be in the top 4), I will admit that Danny is finally revealing his personality in his solo, releasing it from the mechanical perfection it was before.


Neil Haskell and Danny Tidwell - Contemporary - choreographed by Mia Michaels - "Are You The One?" – The Presets
Here is the video clip of Neil and Danny's Contemporary routine:

Danny and Neil Finals
Wow, Everyone liked it. Sandie liked it a lot. I usually agree with Sandie. I didn't really like it. Maybe the clapping reminded me too much of Evil Dick, or it reminded me of those fight scenes on Broadway that are partly meant to be disturbing and kind of hilarious at the same time. I liked some of it a lot, but I almost wanted more. It tipped back and forth between "I hate it" and "I love it" but right now it's leaning more towards the negative actually.


Sabra Solo – “Wonderful World" - James Morrison

Sabra Solo Finals
Seriously, she's just FANTASTIC. Good song pick too!


Lacey Schwimmer and Neil Haskell - Lindy Hop - choreographed by Nick Williams - "Bill's Bounce" – The Big Elliot Swing Orchestra
Here is the video clip of Lacey and Neil's Lindy Hop routine:

Neil and Lacey Finals
Um, that was a bit of a mess wasn't it? Let's just try to ignore this one. I think a few more days of practice would have helped because it was starting to get there and the Lindy Hop isn't easy at all, but it just made me miss those two Lindy Hoppers that were in the auditions (Mike and the non-gf?).

Sabra Johnson and Danny Tidwell - Cha Cha Cha - choreographed by Melanie La Patin - "Gotta Get Down (La Negra Tiene Tumbao) [Spanish Remix]" - Celia Cruz
Here is the video clip of Sabra and Danny's Cha Cha Cha routine:

Danny and Sabra Finals
It was cute but I'm not sure I really loved it but I didn't hate it either. It was okay but I would have hoped for more for the final dance in the final four.

Wrap Up

Favourite Dance of the Night - Lacey and Danny - Viennese Waltz
Favourite Pairing of the Night - Sabra and Lacey
Favourite Solo of the Night - Sabra? Danny? Neil? All three were GREAT!

The Final Ranking (last week's ranking)-
1. Sabra (1)
2. Neil (2)
3. Danny (6) (But I can now see Sandie's point that he could be tied with Neil in second place.)
4. Lacey (4)

For More on Season 3 of So You Think You Can Dance:
Check here for the most Recent current postings and Latest News on SYTYCD
Top 6 Performances, Top 6 Results
Top 8 Performances, Top 8 Results
Top 10 Performances, Top 10 Results
Top 12 Performances, Top 12 Results
Top 14 Performances, Top 14 Results
Top 16 Performances, Top 16 Results
Top 18 Performances, Top 18 Results
Top 20 Performances, Top 20 Results
For So You Think You Can Dance Season 2:
Favorite Video Clips
Song List
Live Tour - Toronto
Live Tour - Buffalo, Pics, More Pics

Videos Uploaded by mickeymcc


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link. I was actually looking for your review so I could compare notes. I guess I'll have to wait for it ;-)

Anonymous said...

SABRA WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey I am going crazy trying to figure out the name of the song and/or band that played a week or so ago when Lacey did one of her solo performances. She was wearing this black tassled body suit. Can anyone help me here???