Monday, February 04, 2008

Spiced Up My Life

Tosca - Canadian Opera Company - Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts - Toronto, ON
Spice Girls - Air Canada Centre - Toronto, ON


So yes, I really DID go see an Opera AND The Spice Girls on the same day. On Super Bowl Sunday no less.

And um, I really tried with the classy stuff but yet again, I admired Tosca more than I loved it. So of six Operas I forced myself have seen, I've loved 1. Pucini's La Boheme. Everything else, I've nodded off in.

So yeah, I was really more into this (which finally hit Toronto, which apparently when they return later this month, is now the last stop of the tour):

(The pictures are from my sister's camera. I was 3 rows behind her and few seats over. OMG we had such good seats! (My sister was about 3 rows behind where they had Ginger Spice's baby)).

With brilliant poetry like this:

Yo, I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want,
So tell me what you want, what you really really want,
I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want,
So tell me what you want, what you really really want,
I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna really
Really really wanna zigazig ha.


or this:

Be a little wiser baby, put it on, put it on
'Cause tonight is the night when two become one


or this:

Colors of the world
Spice up your life
Every boy and every girl
Spice up your life
People of the world
Spice up your life
ahh


or this:

Viva forever, I'll be waiting
Everlasting, like the sun
Live Forever, for the moment
Ever searching for the one


The whole thing was great! And they strangely somehow acknowledged when Geri left the group. And the biggest shocker? They actually really DID sing live (you could tell because if Mel C. wasn't singing, it wasn't perfect). Bigger shocker. Posh actually "sang". I thought she just stood there (she basically did but she sang about three lines all night. 3 more than I thought she would).

As for the show, apparently Mel. C, Mel B, Geri, Emma and Ms. Beckham have never seen something shimmery and sparkly they didn't like. Which was perfect since the audience was made up of 8-40 year old girls and their gay male best friends. All who like shiny things... oooh... so shiny and twinkly...

About the only surprising thing they DIDN'T have was a mirrorball but they didn't need it at that point. The Spice Girls WERE the mirrorball.

I'll throw up more photos when I get back from my trip but I must sleep now since I have an early flight.

So who won the Super Bowl?

(I actually DO know who won the Super Bowl. I DID have to make sure House was recording.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha "poetry" eh? man, reading those lines did bring back some memories though..

Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Vance, Back about a dozen years ago or so, I was in a Dublin hotel bar, right around the time of the World Music Awards, which was also in town. The highlight of my entire trip was not just seeing the Spice Girls falling down drunk in the same bar, but Baby Spice practically knocking me over (Emma was exceedingly polite, if not completely inebriated).