Friday, March 06, 2009

American Idol - Judges Gone Wild

American Idol - Top 36 - The Wild Card Round

I'll say my peace at the end of this post. (Breathe. Breathe. Smile. Try to smile.)

So we've gone through Group 1, Group 2 and Group 3 and I already bitched about tonight's Wild Card possibilities. Now it's time to fill out our Top 12 13 with the last few Wild Card picks.

Jesse Langseth
26 years old
Home: Minneapolis, MN
Audition: Kansas City, MO
Song: "Tell Me Something Good" (by Stevie Wonder, made famous by Rufus and Chaka Khan')

Grade: B

Some people love Jesse because she's bluesy and has soul. I'm not one of them. I thought her Bette Davis Eyes was interesting but kind of annoying. She does better here, and gains some points, but I'm still not totally sold. She's a bit too artistic, or shall I say trying to be artistic here and while I appreciate the effort, I don't think, in this case, it's a total homerun.
Listen to the mp3

Matt Giraud
23 years old
Home: Kalamazoo, MI
Audition: Louisville, KY
Song: "Whose Loving You" (by Smokey Robinson, made famous by The Jackson 5)

Grade: B+

It was alright, but I don't really have anything to say.
Listen to the mp3

Megan Joy Corkrey
22 years old
Home: Sandy, UT
Audition: Salt Lake City, UT
Song: "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree" (by KT Tunstall)

Grade: C

What the hell is with Megan's butt wiggling and hand flinging substituting in for dancing? She has a weird speech cadence when she sings and I think it would work if she were actually ON KEY. Simon needs to put his libido back into his pants and get over that she's pretty and LISTEN to her. Cause she's not good.
Listen to the mp3

Von Smith
22 years old
Home: Kansas City, MO
Audition: Kansas City, MO
Song: "Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word" (by Elton John, Bernie Taupin, made famous by Elton John)

Grade: D+

I get what he was trying to do with a smoother version, but his vocals couldn't live up to it, especially in the lower registers. He's good at the belty parts, but the rest was kind of a mess.
Listen to the mp3


Jasmine Murray
16 years old
Home: Starkville, MS
Audition: Jacksonville, FL
Song: "Reflection" (by Matthew Wilder, David Zippel, made famous by Lea Salonga, then Christina Aguilera)

Grade: C+

I think some people will think that was great but I thought it was all over the place and really flat and sharp everywhere. Kind of a mess for me. Uh, she's pretty though. So, you know. Paula loved her. Simon totally loves her. Is this cause he broke up with his longtime girlfriend.
Listen to the mp3


Ricky Braddy
26 years old
Home: Nashville, TN
Audition: Louisville, KY
Song: "Superstition" (by Stevie Wonder)

Grade: A-

I think if he didn't wear the skinny jeans, it would have helped. Cause dude's got chicken legs. And I think his makeover isn't quite there yet. That being said, it's about the only bad thing I can say. Well, he still hasn't figured out what to do with his face contortions when he sings, but it was the best vocals of the night so far. I can agree with Simon that his performance was a little clumsy but it was no worse than Megan, Jesse, Von, Matt or Jasmine (so like, everybody that's been on so far). Seriously, Simon desperately needs a girlfriend.
Listen to the mp3


Tatiana Del Toro
24 years old
Home: San Juan, PR
Audition: San Francisco, CA
Song: "Saving All My Love for You" (by Michael Masser, Gerry Goffin, made famous by Whitney Houston)

Grade: B-
Didn't she do this the first time around? I think it was better the first time, but maybe that's because we were just shocked that she could sing behind that veil of craziness.
Listen to the mp3


Anoop Desai
21 years old
Home: Chapel Hill, NC
Audition: Kansas City, MO
Song: "My Prerogative" - (by Bobby Brown, Gene Griffin, Teddy Riley, made famous by Bobby Brown)

Grade: B

Okay, now that we get to see his whole performance for this song, um, it kinda started off laughable. I like the guy. And it would be awesome having an Indian dude in the Top 13 to help us forget Sanjaya, and he can belt it pretty well, but I couldn't stop laughing. I liked it but I don't think in the way he intended it to be.
Listen to the mp3


Wow, that was kind of a terrible night. And these are the Wild Card picks? And they left off Mishovonna Hensen? Kristen McNamara? Ju'Not Joyner? Felicia Barton?

So since they're actually going to pick 4 singers to continue on, really, half this group is going to continue. Too many if you ask me.

I would have picked Jesse, Ricky, Anoop and ... uh... oh. I guess Matt.

Instead, the judges pick Anoop (obviously), Matt (okay, fine, I get it), Megan (Simon's penis is talking again) and Jasmine (she's pretty and black and fills out the quota).

What kind of crazy concoction was in those Coke cups? Cause I don't think it was cola. Maybe it was pure coke. Cause that's the only way to explain the wild and insane picks the judges made.

So there you have it. The Top 13.

Adam Lambert
Alexis Grace
Allison Iraheta
Anoop Desai
Danny Gokey
Jasmine Murray
Jorge Nunez
Kris Allen
Lil Rounds
Matt Giraud
Megan Corkrey
Michael Sarver
Scott MacIntyre

And I'm not so excited. At this point, I think Kris Allen might be my favorite. A combo of good voice and good looks and good personality. Not the best at each, but overall it works.

I'm going to totally write off Scott, Michael Sarver, Megan, Jorge, and Jasmine (even though I think Scott might last just past the halfway point and Jorge seems to be gaining speed).

Lil was great early on but I need more proof (because her Mary J Blige impression didn't do it for me). But she'll go far.

Danny sounds great but needs to do something about his douchey poor-me-cause-my-wife-died,-did-I-mention-my-wife-died?-please-vote-for-me! image.

Adam needs to tone down on the screeching and fix his hair.

Anoop is fun and all but needs better song choices.

Alexis needs to make a bigger impression but she's growing on me.

Ditto for Allison though she too needs to not overdo it all the time.

My guess for Top 6? Lil Rounds, Danny Gokey, Anoop Desai, Adam Lambert, Allison Iraheta and Kris Allen (I hope, though Matt or Alexis might pull through).

Now who the heck am I going to add to my pool picks? I already have Lil Rounds and Danny Gokey. Should I go with my heart and stay with Kris, or look at the stats and go with Anoop or Adam who seem to have huge followings? Decisions decisions.

At least we never have to see Tatiana ever again (I hope).

For more on American Idol:
Click here for the most recent posts.
Season 8:
Top 2 Performance
Top 3 Performance, Top 3 Results
Top 4 Performance, Top 4 Results
Top 5 Performance, Top 5 Results
Top 6 + Matt (Top 7 Redux) Performance, Top 7 Redux Results
Top 7 Performance, Top 7 Results
Top 8 Performance, Top 8 Results
Top 9 Performance
Top 10 Performance
Top 12 Performance, Top 12 Results
Top 13 Performance, Top 13 Results
Top 36:
Group 1, Group 2, Group 3
Wild Card, Wild Card Results
Pre-Top 36:
Who Are You Going To Vote For?
Handicapping the Alleged American Idols


Vance at http://tapeworthy.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I predict that either Allison Iraheta or Danny Gokey will win the whole thing